UPDATE: 12-year-old boy identified in fatal shooting near Kountze

UPDATE from the Hardin County Sheriff's Office:

The Hardin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a child that occurred in the 2600 block of FM Hwy 418, just east of Kountze.

Deputies arrived on scene shortly after 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday evening and found the body of a 12 year old boy on the porch of a mobile home.

Based upon the initial investigation, it is believed that the victim and another 12 year old boy were playing with a hunting rifle when it accidentally discharged, killing one of the boys.

The victim has been identified as Trintin Glenn. He lived in Kountze and attended Kountze ISD.

An autopsy has been ordered and the child’s body has been sent to the Jefferson County Morgue for examination.

Previous reports below:

KFDM/Fox 4 News has learned the Hardin County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a young boy inside a home on FM 418, several miles from Kountze.

Sheriff Mark Davis tells KFDM/Fox 4 the child died of an apparent gunshot wound.

He says deputies are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death and it's an 'active scene.'

Chief Deputy Kenny Davenport tells KFDM/Fox 4 News deputies received a 911 call shortly after 6 p.m. reporting an unresponsive young male. When deputies arrived they administered CPR. Davenport says the boy died of what appears to be a gunshot wound. It's an active investigation. Davenport says investigators believe the young boy who died and another boy were the only ones at the home at the time of the shooting. They don't believe the young boy who died lived at the home.

Chief Deputy Davenport spoke with KFDM's Tiffany Murphy in a live report near the scene of the fatal shooting:

"Our office received a call a little after 6 pm, a 911 call, from a young man at this house who said he had a friend that was unresponsive. Our deputies came to the scene in the 2600 block here and found the young man laying on the porch and they began CPR. It was unsuccessful and so investigators were called to the scene and we are now actively investigating it. We are speaking to the person that was at the scene, and at this time, that’s all we have. We believe that there were only two people here when it happened. It’s just a sad situation for all the families and our hearts go out to them, but we are going to try to find out exactly what happened so it may take us a little while, but they are speaking to the homeowner and the young man who was here. And, we are trying to find out exactly what happened, but it could go on for a little while but I’m sure we’ll find out what happened," said Davenport.

Chief Deputy Davenport also said that he didn’t believe that law enforcement officers had frequently been called out to the home on FM 418.

Stay with KFDM and Fox 4 for updates on air and online.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off