BEAUMONT — The Beaumont Independent School District sent a statement to KFDM/Fox 4 News late Tuesday night, saying that a story on Fox News Channel of a male being assaulted in a bathroom presents false information and doesn't depict a bathroom at West Brook.
"The District is aware of a news story on Fox News that depicts a video of a male being assaulted in a bathroom," said the district in its statement. "Please be aware, that this story presents false information and does not depict a bathroom at West Brook High School. We acknowledge that a similar incident occurred and a video is circulating our community and agree that the behavior displayed is unacceptable. The news story suggests that the attacker was permitted to continue attending school and that BISD is indifferent to student safety. This is false. Students who engage in one-sided physical violence are not permitted to remain in the general education environment."
KFDM/Fox 4 has reported a Beaumont teenager remains at the Minnie Rogers Juvenile Justice Center following an attack last week in a West Brook High School bathroom.
He's accused of beating up another student in the bathroom, and it was caught on cell phone video that many in the community have shared.
KFDM'S Angel San Juan spoke Monday night with BISD Police Chief Joseph Malbrough and Executive Assistant District Attorney Keith Giblin. In Angel's report, Chief Malbrough says those spreading the video are also peddling what he calls lies that are hurting the school district, including claims that BISD officers did nothing.
"It was negative, it was false that our officers didn't respond, even to the fact that the Chief did not want to file charges," said Chief Malbrough. "That was so false. You can best believe I will file charges."
He says BISD PD acted swiftly, as soon as it became aware of the bathroom attack.
"Immediately after the incident took place on Wednesday, our officers were able to take the young man into custody and provide the necessary services for the victim, as well as the necessary steps that follow after we take a juvenile into custody," said Chief Malbrough.
Executive Assistant District Attorney Keith Giblin sat down with Chief Malbrough to talk with Angel.
He says they're concerned about the safety of each and every student, and will do everything in their power to make sure that all students have a safe place to learn and study. He says the D.A.'s Office will prosecute vigorously anyone that commits a crime on campus
BISD statement sent to KFDM/Fox 4 Tuesday night
BISD Community.
The District is aware of a news story on Fox News that depicts a video of a male being assaulted in a bathroom. Please be aware, that this story presents false information and does not depict a bathroom at West Brook High School.
We acknowledge that a similar incident occurred and a video is circulating our community and agree that the behavior displayed is unacceptable. The news story suggests that the attacker was permitted to continue attending school and that BISD is indifferent to student safety. This is false. Students who engage in one-sided physical violence are not permitted to remain in the general education environment.
Some media affiliates would have you believe that students are being attacked for no reason. This is not true. The video currently circulating social media is an isolated incident. Fighting at school is a concern that we continue to address daily. But this video is not indicative of student behavior at West Brook High School.
Parents, we ask you to partner with our campus leaders and demand your students engage in appropriate conflict resolution. Not physical violence. Failure to comply with campus conduct expectations will result in removal from school, because the District must and will take every lawful action to safeguard the educational environment.