Gas leak prompts carbon monoxide detector alert, evacuation at Dishman Elementary


A gas leak at Dishman Elementary led to a temporary evacuation Friday, according to a Beaumont Independent School District statement.

The carbon monoxide detectors sounded at Dishman around 8 a.m.

District officials say students and staff were immediately evacuated from the building before the fire department arrived to assess the situation.

"Students and staff were moved to the new gym, a detached building, after clearance was obtained from the fire department, the BISD statement says. "After a thorough assessment, the building was cleared by the fire department and students and staff were returned to the main building to resume their regularly scheduled day.
"The boiler room was the only affected area as the boiler system had a gas leak. The gas has been turned off and maintenance is working to obtain a rental boiler system."
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off